The purpose of this assessment is to help you "zero in" on traits and skills that you'll need to succeed as a distance-learner. Keep in mind that technical topics with which you are less familiar can be improved with practice. We encourage you to take this assessment as often as you like to track your progress. Please include your name and email address in the fields below for identification purposes. Be assured that we will not use this information for purposes other than those related to this assessment.
* All three fields are required
Email address (preferably FalconMail):
Learning Style Assessment
01. I complete homework and other assignments on time.
02. I am thinking about taking distance-learning because of the flexibility if offers.
03. When I work alone I almost always complete the task successfully.
04. If I am having difficulty with an assignment I always ask for help.
05. Written instructions are easy for me to follow.
06. I consider myself to be a good reader.
07. When I turn in work I can move on to the next assignment while waiting for feedback.
08. Face-to-face meetings with my instructor and classmates are not important to me.
09. When asked to use new skills and technologies as a learner, I embrace the challenge and enjoy trying new things.
10. As a learner, I would classify myself as highly independent.
Technical Assessment - part 1: Basic computer skills
11. I can start up, reboot, and shut down a computer.
12. I can start and quit programs.
13. I can save files to and retrieve files from a floppy disk, hard drive, CD-ROM, or DVD.
14. I can cut/copy text from one source and paste it into another.
15. I can open, close, minimize and resize menus and windows.
16. I can move windows around on the desktop.
17. I can create a folder.
18. I can navigate a directory structure to find files.
19. I can rename and/or delete files.
Technical Assessment - Part 2: Application Knowledge
20. I can type at least 30-40 words per minute.
21. I can create a word-processing document.
22. I can print word-processing documents.
23. I can use the spelling and grammar check to revise work.
Technical Assessment - Part 3: Internet & eMail Knowledge
24. I have reliable access to the Internet.
25. I can retrieve and delete e-mail messages.
26. I can create, send, forward, reply, and save e-mail messages.
27. I can distinguish between an e-mail message and a web address.
28. I can send group mailings.
29. I can post messages to discussion lists.
30. I am aware of proper Internet and e-mail etiquette.
31. I can locate and access information using a search engine.
32. I can locate and use appropriate computer resources and technologies (such as online catalogs, periodical indexes, full text resources, multimedia computer stations, and CD-ROM stations) available within a library or media center.
33. I can use the bookmark/favorites feature and can download plug-ins.